Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

FML 9 - Yes I speak with strong accent

English is not my first language. It is actually not my second language either. And it may not be my third language either. Whoa hey! 

In fact, I grew up speaking Mandarin mostly with my families and friends. I attended Chinese school from Grade 1 to Grade 6, so we learn to write in simplified Chinese and speak in Mandarin. Then I attended Malays school from Form 1 to Form 5 or Grade 7 to Grade 11 where everything was changed into Bahasa Melayu! Can you imagine that? I have to re-learn everything in Malays language. Then the government decided to promote English teaching. So I attended English school for Grade 12. It was a pain in the butt.

So see, you can't blame me when I speak English with an accent. I grew up barely speaking any English. I speak Mandarin, Malays, Cantonese and Foochow for 18 years. I don't read books in English. The only time I speak English was during English Oral Exam when everyone would freak out.


What an offense when someone tell you indirectly that you speak with an accent. I am sorry that I speak English with accent, but at least I have tried my best! What if you were asked to speak in Mandarin or Cantonese? I bet you will have accent too! You think it is easy to develop the basic consonant and vowel sounds or twist your tongue, articulate or pronounce English words correctly when you are already 18? I struggled.
Sigh...just unlucky to be hinted that way when I don't sound like a native English SPEAKER.

Lesson 9 = Be proud of your second/third/fourth language and master them!

No comments:

Post a Comment